- Used in the context of general equities. Customer or trader who is actively involved in a particular stock or the market in general. Bloomberg Financial Dictionary
* * *player play‧er [ˈpleɪə ǁ -ər] noun [countable] COMMERCEone of the important people, companies etc involved in a particular industry, market, situation etc:player in
• He is one of the major players in the multimedia industry.
• The company is a world player in telecommunications equipment.ˌgross ˈplayer COMMERCEin the film industry, a director, actor, writer etc who is paid a percentage of the receipt S (= money that people pay to see the film) before production, distribution, and other costs are taken awaya company or financial institution involved in a particular market:
• London market players pushed prices down early in the day.ˌnet ˈplayer COMMERCEin the film industry, a director, actor, writer etc who is paid a percentage of the profits of a film after all production, distribution, and other costs are taken away — see also team player
* * *player UK US /ˈpleɪər/ noun [C]► a company, organization, or person that has influence within a particular activity, industry, or type of work: a player in sth »
The organization used to be unique; today it is just another player in a cut-throat market.key/major/important player »
As chairman of the Finance Committee, she was a key player in the assembly's lengthy budget negotiations.global/industry player »
It may take another three to four years before the market stabilizes enough for global players to think about establishing new EU locations.
Financial and business terms. 2012.